Monday, November 25, 2013

Me, Me, Me...........OR NOT!!!!

About 3 weeks ago I got really into researching Alzheimer's and all the signs and stages and signed up on a couple Alzheimers sites to get stories and help.  Called a couple Organizations and a Social Worker.  Well the biggest thing they stress is the caregiver and how they struggle and need to take care of themselves first.  STRESS is supposed to be a silent killer.  I was put on high blood pressure meds over the summer, so I figured its time to change some things.

So I declared that I would do TWO ME THINGS a week.  Now those that know me, should know I am not a ME person at all.  I am a hard worker, I hate shopping for ME, I hate talking about ME.  So I wonder if I even know how to have a ME day - let alone do two ME things a week.  So I started out small.  

The first week, I dyed my hair and polished my nails.  I only used the temporary 28 washings hair dye, I couldn't even commit to permanent hair dye.  That would take up way to much of my time.  Plus I am 59 years old - we will have grey hair - I prefer temporary cause it lets a little grey shine through.  My mother was white haired at 37 I think.  And when she stopped coloring her hair - it was so pretty just white.

Second week came along - what am I going to do this week?  I went and got a hair cut and finished reading a book I started last November during deer season in WV.  Now not even sure I can consider a haircut a ME thing since I faithfully get my haircut every 6 to 8 weeks.  

Third week came along - things were coming easier to me.  Got my eyebrows done, went to country music at senior center and a play at the Andrews Osbourne Academy uptown.  So that turned out to be three ME things.  Am I getting the hang of this?

But now the fourth week has come along and I am struggling to think of anything to do for myself.  I cannot think of one thing to do for myself.  So no I do not have the hang of it.  Don't even know if I really have the jest of a ME day or thing to do.  I feel as if I am calling everyday things - special ME things.  I do not feel any less stressed.

I will end on the most embarrassing moment of my day......We were at Hardee's this morning - my dad had called me yesterday and said meet him there.  Of course he forgot to come, but my ex is in town.  So he shows up at Hardee's this morning and walks by us, then his brother told him he thought it was me.  So he goes around again, comes up to me and says "hey there" and goes to shake my hand.  I look at him and say "Do I know you?"  I am still laughing not to recognize him.  But in my defense he may be 10 months younger than me but looks 10 years older.  LOL  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

1 comment: